Dinner ahhh dinner, the highlight of my evening…that is only if I plan ahead. I am a big planner and organizer so if I don’t plan meals for the entire week it is usually a Chipotle night. Yum, love me a burrito bowl. Anyway…I didn’t do a good job of planning this week with our schedules, so as I went to make dinner tonight, I stared into my fridge full of these “green” things that we just got last night in our first CSA share and my mind starts creating a plan or an idea for hopefully a delicious meal. To be honest, I totally pulled this one out of my butt and it turned out fabulous. Not only did I learn to cook with some of these things, but I also learned that I loved the taste of new veggies and so did the husby which is always a plus!
I started with what I was going to use from the weekly CSA share. Peas, baby turnips, turnip greens, scallions, and microgreens.
Now what else do I have in my fridge? Mushrooms, garlic and onion…perfect! I went to my pantry and got out the olive oil and quinoa and we were in business.
I added 2 tablespoons of olive oil to my cast iron skillet and let that heat up a bit before adding my minced garlic and chopped onions. After about 3 minutes I added the chopped mushrooms and peas and sautéed that for another 3-5 minutes. This allows the peas to still have a delicious crunch to them.
While that was cooking I was roasting the baby turnips in the oven on 350° and chopped up the turnip greens. Gave them a quick rinse and then threw them in the cast iron pan with the rest of the veggies and sautéed for another 3-5 minutes.
After my quinoa was done, and turnips were roasted it was ready to plate. I put a little quinoa down first, added my veggie mixture and some roasted turnips. Then I topped it with some scallions and some microgreens and we were ready to eat! Delish!
The combinations of flavors was delicious, I almost forgot that I was eating healthy. And look there is a turnip in the shape of heart. How cute?
Ingredients from our CSA:
Baby turnips and their greens
Scallions – chopped
Olive oil – 2-3 Tbsp
Mushrooms – 5-6 chopped
Yellow Onion – 1/3 chopped
Garlic Cloves – 3 minced
Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
Red Pepper Flakes – ½ tsp
Quinoa – ½ cup
Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Prepare quinoa as directed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 °
- Wash turnips and slice into 1/4 in slices, coat in olive oil and put on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in cast iron skillet then add garlic and onions and sauté for 3 minutes
- Add chopped mushrooms and peas and sauté for another 3-5 minutes
- Add chopped turnip greens and sauté for another 2 minutes
- Add Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper and sauté for another 1-2 minutes
- Remove turnips from oven and serve with veggie mixture over the quinoa
- Top with scallions and microgreens
For more recipes from our week one CSA share, click HERE.
For more recipes, click HERE.