Do you ever open your fridge, see what’s inside that needs to be used and boom dinner is ready? Okay I wish it was that easy, but I hate wasting food. Especially delicious fruits and vegetables so a lot of our dinners are creations to use up whatever we have.
I have never tasted beets before, like ever. And frankly I always “told” myself I didn’t like them. So tonight when I decided to cook with them, I was pretty scared. But I knew I had a bunch of other deliciousness cooking as well, so if I didn’t like the beets I could always push them aside, right?
This was everything we had left from our Week One CSA Share. I was stoked that we had used everything up in dinners, salads, and shakes other than these items which you can see needed to be used up soon.
Here is what I used from our CSA: beets, peas, asparagus, green garlic and scallions
Here is what I used from my fridge, garden and pantry: mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and quinoa
I wanted to use all parts of the beets so I chopped them up to separate the beets, stems, and greens.
I got my garlic and scallions cooking into the olive oil.
Then I added the beet stems and cooked those down a bit before adding the mushrooms, peas, and greens.
This is the carrots, onion, beets, and asparagus after it was nice and roasted.
And here it is before I ate it all up. Super healthy and yummy. However, my taste buds weren’t jumping for joy over the beets, they were just okay. I love roasted vegetables and everything was delicious, but I’m gonna have to work on this beet thing.
Ingredients from our CSA:
Baby beets and their greens
Scallions – chopped
Olive oil – 3 Tbsp
Mushrooms – 5-6 chopped
Carrots – 2-3 chopped
Yellow Onion – 1/3 chopped
Rosemary – 1 Tbsp
Garlic Cloves – 3 minced
Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
Red Pepper Flakes – ½ tsp
Quinoa – ½ cup
Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Prepare quinoa as directed, set aside
- Pre-heat oven to 400 °
- Wash beets remove from stems and slice in half, slice stems in 1-2 inch pieces and chop the greens and set aside.
- Chop asparagus, onions, and carrots and add with beets to cookie sheet.
- Coat chopped veggies in olive oil and put on baking sheet, sprinkle with rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Meanwhile, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in cast iron skillet then add minced garlic and chopped scallions and sauté for 3 minutes
- Add beet stems and sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Add chopped mushrooms and peas and sauté for another 3-5 minutes
- Add chopped turnip greens and sauté for another 2 minutes
- Add Red Pepper Flakes, Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper and sauté for another 1-2 minutes
- Remove roasted veggies from oven and serve with with greens over the quinoa
- Top with scallions
For more recipes from our week one CSA share, click HERE.
For other recipes, click HERE.